The Israelites wandered in the wilderness for three months and tested God in many ways. God told them His purpose for delivering from Egypt at the beginning of this story. Today’s bible study comes from the book of Exodus. Exodus 19:1 – 20:21.
The Israelites camped out in the desert at the front of the mountain. Moses then went up to God and He told Moses to go tell the Israelites the following:
“You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself. Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.” Exodus 19:4-6
Jesus has ascended to the top of Mount Sinai. He had left instructions that no one was to come up and that barriers were to be constructed. As time went by, God instructed Moses to have the people ready for his return.
Moses was instructed to go bring Aaron up to the top of the mountain. Hence came the introduction of the Ten Commandments. The first four are considered our commandments to God. They include in order:
• Thou shall have no other God;
• Thou shall have no idols:
• Thou shall not use the Lord’s name in vain;
• Thou shall remember the sabbath and keep it holy;
The remaining commandments along with the first four were completed on two stone tablets. These include:
• Thou shall honor thy mother and father;
• Thou shall not murder;
• Thou shall not commit adultery;
• Thou shall not steal;
• Thou shall not bare false witness;
• Thou shall not covet your neighbors …
A short while later, the people heard thunder, saw lightning, heard a trumpet and saw the mountain in smoke. They started to tremble with fear. They stayed at a distance while speaking with Moses, they told him:
“Speak to us yourself and we will listen. But do not have God speak to us or we will die.”
Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning.”
The people remained at a distance, while Moses approached the thick darkness where God was. (Exodus 20:18-21)
1. What did God tell the Israelites to do and ask of them prior to Him coming down on Mount Sinai?
2. What are the first four commandments?
3. What is the fifth commandment?
4. What are the last five commandments?
5. Why did Moses tell the Israelites not to be afraid?
Questions to be answered:
1. What did we learn about God in this story?
2. What do we learn about man/ourselves in this story?
3. What did you learn new in this story?
4. What should I do differently because of this story?