25 years had passed from the time God gave his promise until Isaac was born to people too old to have a child. One day when Isaac was a boy, God tested Abraham’s faith. Today’s message: Genesis 22:1-19.
God came to Abraham, and told Abraham to take his son, Abraham’s only son and go to the land of Moriah. Here you will offer a burnt offering upon one of the mountains that I designate. (Genesis 22:1-2)
The next morning, Abraham arose and took with him two men, his son, and the wood for the burnt offering. They set off in the direction that God had told him. On the third day, he looked up and saw the location that God had indicated far-off. He told the two young men to stay with the donkeys while he and his son would go yonder worship. (Genesis 22:3-5)
Abraham took the wood for the burnt offering, his son, a knife, and the fire starter. Isaac asked his father, where is the lamb for the burnt offering? Abraham responded that God would provide a lamb for the burnt offering. (Genesis 22:6-8)
They traveled to the place God had indicated and Abraham built an altar there. He then placed the wood on the altar and bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar upon the wood. Just as Abraham was ready to kill his son with the knife he had brought, and Angel came and told Abraham not to hurt the child. The angel said that they now know that Abraham feared God by willing to sacrifice his son. (Genesis 22:9-12)
Abraham looked up and saw a ram caught in a bush by his horns. Abraham went and took the ram and offered the ram and the burnt offering is that it was only son. (Genesis 22:13)
Abraham called this place Jehovah-jireh. The angel from heaven called upon Abraham the second time and said that because you have done what you were asked of by God, all nations of the earth will be blessed because you obeyed God’s voice. Abraham, his son, and the two young men return to reside in Beer-sheba. (Genesis 22:14-19)
1. What did God asked Abraham to do?
2. What was Abraham’s response?
3. What did Abraham take with Isaac to the Mt. Moriah?
4. What did Isaac ask Abraham?
5. What did Abraham say to Isaac?
6. How did Abraham respond to God’s test?
7. What did God provide as a substitute offering?
8. What did Abraham call that place?
9. What did the Lord say to Abraham to the angel?
Questions to be answered:
1. What did we learn about God in this story?
2. What do we learn about man/ourselves in this story?
3. What did you learn new in this story?
4. What should I do differently because of this story?